Quick & Easy Guide to Philippine Drone Laws, Certificates, and Registrations (2023 Updated)

Back to Philippine Drone News, Case Studies, and Industry Updates
Guide to Drone Laws, Licenses, and Registration in the Philippines (2021 Updated) - Large
Category: Philippine Drone Industry News

Quick & Easy Guide to Philippine Drone Laws, Certificates, and Registrations (2023 Updated)

Drones have never been more accessible and more popular in the Philippines than today.

As a result, the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) revised their guidelines to include non-commercial drones and ensure the safety of Filipinos who want to fly them as a hobby. 

The CAAP also held a 4-part webinar to explain and answer questions about the latest Philippine Civil Aviation Regulations. This is the newest set of laws, safety, and certification regulations that still apply today in 2023. 

These are the rules you need to follow until new regulations are published for drone and UAV pilots and operators (no date on that yet).

If you want to fly quadcopters, fixed wing drones, or other remotely piloted aircraft and UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles), you need to know and follow these rules by heart – or risk being fined and your equipment confiscated.

Here are the most common questions about rules for flying a drone in the Philippines for this year:

  1. Do I need a permit or license to fly drones in the Philippines?
  2. What kind of drones can I use as a hobby?
  3. Can I fly my drone anytime?
  4. How high can I fly my drone?
  5. What are no-fly zones I should avoid?
  6. How many people must be in a place to be considered a populated area?
  7. Can I take pictures of my subdivision/condo/barangay?
  8. What are the safety rules, regulations, and limitations for hobbyists?
  9. Can I get penalized for violating drone safety regulations?
  10. I’d like to start my own business for drone photography and videos. Is that allowed?
  11. What is considered commercial use?
  12. What are the requirements for commercial use of drones?
  13. How do I apply for the RPAS Controller Certificate?
  14. How do I apply for the RPAS Operator Certificate?
  15. How do I register my drone and get a RPAS Registration Certificate?
  16. Where can I ask other questions about drones and other remotely piloted aircraft in the Philippines?

1. Do I need a permit, license, or be certified to fly drones in the Philippines?

You don’t need a permit and are not required to register your drone to fly recreationally. If you want to pilot a small drone for fun around your property or to post photos on your drone blog, go ahead.

However, there are some regions in the Philippines such as Boracay Island and Davao City with local laws that require registration. We always recommend to register your drone even if it’s not required by the CAAP to avoid trouble like this, be CAAP-certified, and as a safety precaution.

You need a license, specifically a RPAS Controller Certificate (for yourself or your pilot), RPAS Registration Certificate (for your drone), and an RPAS Operator Certificate (for your business) from the CAAP if you plan to:

  • Operate drones commercially (ex: start a business for aerial photography/videography or construction surveying)
  • Fly big drones that weigh more than 7 kg
  • Fly in restricted conditions such as going inside restricted air space, conducting night flights, flying over populated areas, and going above maximum altitude (these also require special flight permits)

You can find the requirements to be certified by the CAAP and for the commercial use of drones in question 12.

Read more: Do I need a drone license to fly a drone for my blog or Youtube channel?

Drone Laws - Do I need a permit

2. What kind of drones can I use as a hobby?

If you want to do it as a hobby and don’t have any credentials or formal drone training, then you are only allowed to use small UAVs that weigh 7 kg or less (around 15.4 pounds). Most consumer-level drones you can buy are under this category and won’t be a problem.

Remotely piloted aircraft that weigh more than 7 kg need to be registered with the CAAP first, AND you need to get a Controller Certificate before you can fly them.

There are more requirements if your drone weighs 150 kg or more. You’ll need a Special Certificate for Airworthiness and an Experimental Certificate. 

3. Can I fly my drone anytime?

No, you are only allowed to fly during day time when the sky is well lit (no night flying after sunset and before sunrise). 

You can also only pilot your drone as long as you have a clear view of it and where it’s going (within your visual line of sight). This also means no flying during bad weather because rain and fog can hide your drone.

Drone Safety Night Flights are Not Allowed Without Permits

4. What are no-fly zones I should avoid?

The biggest no-fly zones are airports. You need to stay clear at least 10 km from their area of operation which can extend beyond the actual airport property.

Highly populated areas are also considered no-fly zones. This includes:

  • Schools and universities
  • Malls and markets
  • Any place with large public gatherings

You also must also avoid places with controlled or restricted airspace like:

  • Government buildings (ex: Malacanang Palace)
  • Military bases
  • National parks (may sometimes require a permit from the local park supervisor)

5. How high can I fly my drone?

You can fly up to the maximum altitude of 400 feet above ground level (around 122 meters). You need approval from the CAAP to go higher.

Take note that this measures the distance between your aircraft and the ground directly below it as it flies. If you take off from a hill, building, or any elevated space then you need to adjust down your flight path when you go over lower ground because you will violate the maximum altitude.

Again, you must follow visual line of sight (VSOL) rules. Do not go behind buildings, large trees and other structures like billboards that will block your view and signal to the drone.

Follow drone rules for line of sight

6. How many people must be in a place to be considered a populated area?

The CAAP does not give a solid number for this so it is your responsibility to use good judgement. 

Remember that the point of the rule is for safety. The more people, the higher the chances someone will get hit if your drone malfunctions or crashes.

Anywhere there is a crowd or likely to develop a crowd is a populated area. That includes most streets in the city. It also covers concerts, sport events, and other performances. 

7. Can I take pictures of my subdivision/condo/barangay?

You can take photos and record video as long as you follow all the rules above and respect people’s privacy. Don’t go into private property or record private places.

Remember that subdivisions and residential areas are considered populated zones that drones are not allowed to fly over. The Officer-in-Charge of the Regulatory Standards Development of the CAAP, Frank Marty, even said during their latest webinar last October 2020:

“There are several reports from authorities and sightings of drones in residential areas. This poses risks not only to the safety of the residents, but also to their privacy and security.”

Keep your distance or else you risk getting penalized by the CAAP.

8. What are the drone safety rules, regulations, and limitations for hobbyists?

You are required to follow the rules below if you are not certified by the CAAP and do not have a special flight permit:

  • Only use small drones that weigh 7 kg or less
  • Only fly during daytime
  • Maintain visual line of sight (don’t fly farther than where you can see it)
  • Ensure your aircraft is at least 30 meters (around 98 feet) away from other people not involved in the drone operation at all times
  • Stay away from populated areas and restricted or controlled airspace like schools, markets, government buildings, and army bases
  • Stay at least 10 km away from airports
  • Limit your altitude to a height of 400 feet maximum

Click here for a summary video of drone safety regulations in the Philippines made by the CAAP.

Drone Safety Avoid Populous Areas

9. Can I get penalized for violating drone safety regulations?


You may be fined anywhere between P20,000 and P100,000 for each violation of CAAP rules, even if you are only doing it as a hobby or recreationally.

10. I’d like to start my own business for drone photography and videos. Is that allowed?

Yes, it’s perfectly fine to provide these services as a business as long as you have the necessary permits and certificates for commercial use.

11. What is considered commercial use?

The CAAP considers “any job or project that is done for remuneration” as a commercial operation.

In other words: if you’re making money from it, then it’s commercial and you need a certificate.

Examples of common commercial services include:

12. What are the requirements for commercial use of drones?

You first need to get the following 3 things before you operate:

  • Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPAS) Controller Certificate – This proves you have enough skills and knowledge to safely operate remotely piloted aircraft
  • RPAS Operator Certificate – This recognizes your business has sufficient safety policies, well-trained staff, and proper facilities and equipment to provide drone services
  • RPAS Certificate of Registration – This document assigns official registration numbers to your aircraft that certifies them as fit to use

13. How do I apply for the RPAS Controller Certificate?

Applying as a drone pilot or controller is easy and the licensing staff are very helpful, but it does take time. 

Click here for a comprehensive infographic guide on how to become a licensed drone pilot.

Here’s a short summary of what you need to be CAAP-certified drone pilot or controller.

  1. Prepare the following requirements and submit them in person at the CAAP licensing department:
  2. Get a Routing Slip from the licensing staff and let them guide you through the next steps that includes taking the knowledge test. 
  3. After you pass the written test, you will be given a Knowledge Test Report. Submit this report to get a Skills Test Permit and schedule.
  4. Show up on your scheduled day and pass the Skills Test. You can now apply for the Controller Certificate by submitting:
    • Knowledge Test and Skills Test results
    • 2 1×1 pictures
  5. Pick up your certificate after 5 working days

The Licensing and Certification Department address is located at the CAAP Annex Building, Old MIA Road, Pasay City. You can contact them at [email protected].

How to Get Your RPAS Controller Certificate(1)

14. How do I apply for the RPAS Operator Certificate?

Click here for a comprehensive infographic guide on getting operator certification.

Below are the steps to get your business certified to use drones commercially:

  1. Submit a Letter of Intent to the Flight Standard Inspectory Service (FSIS) Assistant Director General II, together with the Pre-Application Statement of Intent (PASI) Form (download here)
  2. Optional: You may choose to schedule a meeting to discuss the process and requirements
  3. Wait for FSIS approval. Once accepted, they will give you a list of additional requirements about your business, staff, policies, and facilities to submit. These may include:
    • User’s manual from the manufacturer of your RPAS
    • Operations manual from your organization
    • Training manual from your organization
    • Civil Aeronautics Board Franchise (for agricultural purposes)
    • Lease/Service Contract (between contractor and agriculture company)
    • RPAS Insurance/Third Party Liability
    • Special Certificate of Airworthiness (if applicable)
    • SEC or DTI registration
    • RPAS Certificate of Registration from CAAP
    • Photocopy of your primary Controller Certificate and their resume
    • Organizational chart
    • Pictures of your facilities and equipment
    • Copy of the official receipt
  1. Submit the documents, then wait again for FSIS to check if your documents are complete and if your organization meets their standards. If accepted, your organization will undergo several inspections:
    • Safety inspection of your facilities and equipment 
    • Organizational inspection of your staff and management responsibilities 
    • RPAS inspection where you will demonstrate your services while they observe and evaluate your operational and safety policies and procedures (ex: do you follow the flight procedures in your manuals)
    • Personal inspection of your qualifications if you are able to meet your responsibilities 
  2. If you pass all inspections, you will then be given final certification. 
How to Get Your RPAS Operator Certificate(1)

15. How do I register my drone and get a RPAS Registration Certificate?

Follow our step-by-step registration guide here for a more detailed explanation on the process.

Getting your drone officially registered can take 15 days to process, so make sure you do it right the first time. The steps are:

  1. Write a Letter of Intent addressed to the Officer in Charge of the Flight Standards Inspector Service (FSIS) of the CAAP, submit it in person to their office and have the original copy marked as received. Make sure you include:
    • Your purpose for registration
    • Technical specifications, model, and serial number of your aircraft
  2. Compile the following required documents while you wait a few days to a week for CAAP to respond:
    • Notarized and completed registration form (call CAAP for the latest version)
    • Technical specifications of your drone
    • History of ownership (only for leased units)
    • Proof of ownership (ex: invoice or affidavit of ownership)
    • Insurance Policy for Third party liability
    • Original DTI Certificate or SEC corporation documents (if applicable)
    • Secretary’s Certificate (for corporations)
    • Import document (customs release certificate if your drone was held by customs)
    • RPAS Operator Certificate (if you have one already)
    • Registration fee of P1,500 + 12% tax if it’s your first registration
  3. Wait a few working days, then call CAAP and ask for your registration marking number.
    • Get a permanent waterproof sticker with your registration marking made and place it on your drone and the controller. This marker must be clear and visible at all times so make it big. 
    • Print out colored photos of your drone that show the markings and serial number from multiple angles.
  4. Return to CAAP with your drone and get your registration marking reservation approval letter. Submit this letter with the other required documents, pay the registration fee, then have your drone inspected.
  5. Call CAAP and ask for an update of your registration when it gets close to 15 days. Return to their office and pick up your Certificate of Registration when it’s ready.
How to Register Your Drone and Get Your RPAS Registration Certificate

16. Where can I ask other questions about drones and other remotely piloted aircraft in the Philippines?

For any questions or clarifications, send the Philippine Drone Network a message, leave a comment here, or contact the relevant department of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines directly below:

Primary Email: [email protected]
Flight Standards Inspectorate Service: [email protected]
Licensing and Certification Department: [email protected]
Regulatory Standards Department: [email protected]
Phone: +63 2 7944-2142  or 7944-2143

Share this post

Comments (103)

  • Genesis G. Epistola Reply

    Sana my office din sila dito sa Region 2 :) hirap po kasi pumunta ng Manila this pandemic..

    February 4, 2021 at 4:25 am
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Genesis. Isa sa nirecommend namin at ng marami pang ibang drone operators sa CAAP ay ang pagtayo ng satellite offices sa ibang airports para mas madaling magregister at matuto ng tamang paglipad ng drones. Sa ngayon pwede niyo po tawagan si CAAP dahil pumapayag sila minsan na magpadala ng staff sa ibang region kung may gusto magregister.

      February 4, 2021 at 4:39 am
  • DONG ASUAL Reply

    How much CAAP charge for the drone pilot or controller license?

    March 30, 2021 at 1:35 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Dong. The certification fee is P3000 for 5 years validity. There are also other fees for the exam. It’s best to call CAAP to get the latest exact fees before going there.

      March 30, 2021 at 2:05 pm
    • Marc Reply

      How about Davao City po. Pwede parin bang magpalipad ng drone like 249g lang at malayo naman sa airport? Need parin bang kumuha ng permit kahit for hobby lang?

      August 4, 2022 at 11:48 am
      • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

        Hi Marc. Ang sagot po diyan ay nasa question #1 ng post na ito.

        August 5, 2022 at 7:41 pm
  • Sir Ben Reply

    Need pa din po ba ng DTI certificate (business registration) kung ikaw ay freelance aerial photographer and videographer lang and you only do it as a part time job? to be able to obtain an RPAS Registration Certificate?

    April 25, 2021 at 7:36 am
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Ben. DTI registration is not required for individuals applying for the RPAS Registration Certificate.

      But if you are getting paid to do aerial photography, then you still need to have a Controller Certificate, Registration Certificate, and Operator Certificate because CAAP regulations clearly state that anyone who provides commercial services must have all 3. The RPA Operator Certificate is the one where you need to submit DTI registration. We recommend freelancers to register an official business name for themselves with DTI (which can be done online) so they can freelance as a legitimate business. This lets you avoid troubles with the BIR and also give you and your client safety and insurance. Otherwise, your client may report you to the authorities as an unlicensed provider if something goes wrong during an operation.

      April 25, 2021 at 8:17 am
  • Sir Ben Reply

    Salamat po. To make the long story short po pala, hindi po uubra ang freelancers na walang registered business. Kasi ho, madali lng po tlaga mag apply sa DTI online pero kung sinasabi nyo kelangan pati BIR para sa business iba po yun sa BIR ng self-employed dahil may sarili BIR # ang business at may sarili din individual TIN ang isang tao. Bago po kami makakuha ng BIR Cert para sa business need po namin ng BRGY.PERMIT, Engineering Dept. Inspection, Environmental Compliance Inspection, FIRE INSPECTION CERTIFICATE, SANITARY PERMIT at bukod sa lahat MAYOR’s permit. Whereas, fire inspection certificate and sanitary certificate doesn’t seem to have any relation in operating a drone. May nakalagay pa po na need din ng TPL Insurance? may local insurance company po ba who covers TPL para sa UAV pilots? good luck sa mga freelancers.

    April 25, 2021 at 11:01 am
  • Angelica Orijola Reply

    Hi, how much it will cost me to register a drone (Mavic 2 Pro)?

    Thank you.

    June 11, 2021 at 2:56 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Angelica. Registration is P1500 + 12% tax. See the answer to question #15 on this page for registration steps.

      June 11, 2021 at 2:58 pm
  • Neil Escueta Reply

    How many drone pilot are allowed to apply for the certification for commercial use?

    June 14, 2021 at 6:05 pm
  • Jey Reply

    Need ba license if pang vlog lang like vlog ng mga house and lot?

    June 19, 2021 at 1:21 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Jey. Hindi kailangan kung kayo ang may ari ng property. Tandaan rin na ang subdivision ay itinuturing “populated area”.

      June 19, 2021 at 1:25 pm
      • Jey Reply

        Mag vlog po sa mga house and lot na for sale po. Pang upload sa yt at fb pero walang bayad.

        June 19, 2021 at 1:38 pm

    Can I bring drone outside the country.is there any requirements.

    June 24, 2021 at 11:12 am
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Stephen. What drone model do you have? You can, but you need to research the local drone rules and licensing and importing requirements of the country you’re traveling to.

      June 24, 2021 at 11:20 am
  • Benhur Lacumba Reply

    saan po ba pwedeng ireport ang isang drone operator na kahit sa gabi ay nagpapalipad nito sa loob mismo ng isang subdivision.

    June 25, 2021 at 9:29 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Benhur. Pwede niyo report sa barangay or local police kung nagpapalipad ang drone operator sa gabi o sa loob ng subdivision dahil violation ito ng Philippine Civil Aviation Regulations (PCAR). Labag ito sa section 11.11.3 (flying in populated areas is not allowed without a permit) at ng section (night flying is not allowed without a permit).

      Itawag niyo rin sa Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) sa 02 87944-2142 o 02 87944-2143.

      June 25, 2021 at 10:08 pm
  • BRYAN ARAP Reply

    Hoping there will be remote satellite offices catering UAV Pilot Licensing especially now we are still in Pandemic. I am from Cotabato City here in Mindanao, it would cost me up a lot to travel to MLA just to apply adding up to the cost is the RTPCR Result and so on. It would be more convenient if they were accepting Online Submission.

    July 23, 2021 at 6:50 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Bryan. Yes, we’re pushing the CAAP to open more offices outside of Manila to make application easier for everyone. In the meantime, you can contact them because some requirements can be done online now.

      September 29, 2021 at 10:31 am
  • Al Divinagracia Reply

    In our Municipality, all airspace is declared as No-Fly zone

    August 12, 2021 at 11:38 am
  • Kengel Reply

    Hello panu mawala Sensor Issue? Skydio 2 drone namin US nabili personal use since nasa sports husband ko bike. Nagamit lang namin 3x din next SENSOR ISSUE na lumabas sa monitor niya. Need pa ba register? 8kilos timbang ng drone. Davao city kami.

    September 7, 2021 at 10:17 pm
  • HBY Reply

    Hello. Hope everyone is safe and in good health.

    I would like to be informed regarding an upcoming renewal
    procedures for RPAS Controller Certificate holder and if
    the original drone registered was sold, is it possible to transfer
    its registration number and apply it to the same brand, size but
    with different features. Thank you.

    September 15, 2021 at 3:58 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi HBY. The registration number is not transferable because the CAAP needs to inspect the new drone.

      September 28, 2021 at 10:02 pm
  • Neil Escueta Reply

    Where can we get RPA Insurance/Third Party Liability (TPL)? Any provider recommendation?

    September 29, 2021 at 10:28 am
  • Morpheus Reply

    What about FPV drones po? Di po kasama yung DJI FPV Drone only the Digital FPV System kasi di naman po ma re repair yun ng ikaw lng unlike with the personal built or the bind-and-fly ones that are carbon fiber frames. Will it be granted the same license and registration? Kasi wala po dibang safety sensors yung mga yun unlike all of DJI’s drones including their FPV model.

    October 17, 2021 at 11:35 pm
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Morpheus. Lahat ng drones ay nasasailalim sa parehas na batas ng CAAP.

      June 18, 2022 at 8:59 am
  • James Bardos Reply

    Hi there,

    How much to get permit from the city/municipality (example Taguig) for drone shoot?

    October 19, 2021 at 6:49 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi James. Fees change from city to city because there’s no national permit fee. You’ll have to ask the city office yourself.

      October 19, 2021 at 8:45 pm
  • Allan Reply

    Is it possible to fly near on the waters across Mall of Asia/Solaire? What would be the requirements?

    October 22, 2021 at 11:11 am
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Allan. That area is within the restricted airspace of NAIA and is directly along its runway. You’ll need a special permit from the CAAP to conduct any drone operations.

      October 22, 2021 at 11:18 am
  • ReiCap Reply

    I bought a mavic air 2 and I just plan to use it to take photos and videos of my family specially when traveling. It’s for personal use and no plan to earn from it. Do I need to get license and permit?

    October 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Reicap. No need to get a certificate or license, as long you follow the rules and limitations for casual/hobbyist use. But there are some places like Boracay where you need permission from the local tourism office. Make sure you ask them to be safe.

      October 30, 2021 at 4:11 pm
  • myan Reply

    Hi. I recently bought a drone for hobby purpose. and tried to search where to secure a permit to fly around UP Diliman since it has the ideal field/area of aerial shots. can you help me where and who i need to contact and get a permit to be allowed to use my unit around this area.

    My unit is a DJI mini 2.


    November 22, 2021 at 7:08 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Myan. Please remember that schools and universities like UP are places that the CAAP does not allow recreational drone flights. However, you can still fly your drone if you have written permission from the school itself. Please contact the UP Admin office to get their requirements.

      November 22, 2021 at 9:25 pm
  • Ariel Olaer Reply

    Hi, sana po masagot tanong ko. Kung naka punta napo kayo sa Bohol. Gusto ko lang walang maging problema ang business ko. Nag d.drone shot kasi ako sa “Man made forest” Highway po sya at maraming tourist doon. One minute video ang offer ko sa kanila. Yung drone ko: FPV ceniwhoop na around 250 grams. Pwede sya close up shot sa subject specially people. So business sya, need ko parin ba ng CAAP LICENSE? Since bago sya, di ko sure kung pwede din magkaroon ng business permit sa ganong location.

    December 4, 2021 at 10:49 am
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Ariel. Kailangan mo ng CAAP certification para magsimula ng drone business kahit saan sa Pilipinas. Kasama dito ang RPA Controller Certificate, RPA Registration Certificate, at RPA Operator Certificate.

      December 4, 2021 at 12:19 pm
  • rafael duterte jr Reply

    hi sir…pag may RPA controller certificate na po ba ako pwede nako kumuha anytime ng mga freelance projects like sa mga weddings or debuts etc…tnx po…

    December 13, 2021 at 12:45 am
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Rafael. Officially hindi pwede kung Controller Certificate pa lang ang meron ka dahil kailangan rin magregister as a business (sa SEC and BIR) at kumuha rin ng RPA Operator Certificate ayon sa CAAP.

      December 17, 2021 at 8:28 am
  • Napoleon Biron Reply

    Im using a drone that is less than 500 gram for its weight, and I’m looking into a possibility of flying it in Bay walk of Luneta grand stand… Do I still need to get a permit? or get a CAAP license?

    December 17, 2021 at 6:53 am
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Napoleon. Luneta is surrounded by government buildings and embassies which are restricted airspace. You need to get permission from the LGU if you want to operate there.

      December 17, 2021 at 8:32 am
  • Jesus A. Tantay Reply

    Sir I have mavic mini and Air2S drones from DJI. I understand that they are perfectly okay under our laws here in the Philippines, so long as we follow the rules, such as by not fying them within 10kms from the airprort, among others. What i only want is the RPA’s cobntroller certificate, because I want to fly my drones higher than 122 meters and during night time. My question is, since formal training is still necessary, in order to get the certificate, do you know of any registered trainor or center that offers/provides training. I am from Butuan City, and sadly, I tried to reach out to the CAAP here in Butuan, but I am advised to go to Manila.

    December 19, 2021 at 2:42 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Jesus. Thank you for being a responsible drone owner. Unfortunately, we don’t have a partner in Butuan right now and our own training course is usually held in Manila and Batangas only.

      December 19, 2021 at 3:38 pm
  • Joma Mier Mumar Reply

    If I register my drone and get a RPAS Registration Certificate, do I need RPAS Controller certificate to operate the drone?

    January 7, 2022 at 9:01 am
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Joma. Certificates are only required if you want to fly commercially (as a business), if your drone exceeds the size/weight limit for recreational use, or you want to apply for special flight permits.

      January 20, 2022 at 4:42 pm
  • Irine Reply

    Heah very informative Blog you have here. Do you have any idea about import tax for drones in the Philippines while passing costums at the airport? Is this true that drones pilots need to pay around 100k pesos?

    January 24, 2022 at 1:03 am
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Irine. You can bring in consumer level drones into the country with no fees. If you are importing a large volume of drones for commercial purposes then you’d need to do more paperwork and potentially pay fees.

      January 24, 2022 at 7:38 am
  • Charles Reply

    Do I need to register the drone if it is for recreational use only (mavic air 2s)

    January 28, 2022 at 12:29 am
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Charles. You can get the answer in Question #1 here.

      January 30, 2022 at 3:59 pm
  • Princess Raguindin Reply

    Need po ba iregister ang drone na gagamiting pang survey or inspection ng isang lugar? DJI Mini 2 po ang gamit? Magkano po ang fee ng registration at madaling processo gaano po ito katagal bago makuha?

    January 30, 2022 at 9:50 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Princess. Kailangan ng RPA certificates kung commercial or business purpose ang inspection o survey. Ang proseso para sa certification ay nasa questions #13-15.

      January 30, 2022 at 11:47 pm
  • Janzen Prince Reply

    Hi there! Ask ko lang if yung drone ay pumasok sa loob ng residential property at bumagsak dun. May karapatan ba ang may ari ng residential na kumpiskahin yung drone. Kasi baka na violate ng may ari ng drone yung security at privacy.

    February 16, 2022 at 5:50 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Janzen. Jurisdiction na ng pulis yan dahil pumasok siya sa private property. Pero ipinagbabawal rin ng CAAP ang paglipad sa residential area ayon sa Philippine Civil Aviation Regulations section 11.11.3.

      February 19, 2022 at 12:09 pm
      • Damdeok Reply

        (a)NopersonmayoperateRPA within the following envelope unless prior approval has
        been granted by the Authority:
        (1) 400ft Above Ground Level (AGL);
        (2) 10 km radius from the Aerodrome Reference Point (ARP):
        (b)The RPA shall stay clear of populated area unless prior approval has been granted
        by the Authority.
        (1)Inconsidering whether to give an approval under this paragraph (b), the Authority
        may take into account:
        (1)the degree of redundancy in the RPAs critical systems;(ii)any fail-safe design characteristics of the RPA; and
        (iii)the security of its communications and navigation systems.
        (2)Beforegivina anapproval under paragraph (b). the Authority must be satisfied
        that the person who intends to operate the RPA will take proper precautions to prevent the proposed flight from being dangerous to people and property.

        Saan po pumpasok dito yung residential na nababawal sa papalibad sa residential area?

        December 23, 2022 at 9:00 pm
        • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

          Hi Damdeok. Bawal magpalipad sa populated area (11.11.3b) at madalas kabilang dito ang mga residential area.

          January 1, 2023 at 1:51 pm
  • Christian Bea Reply

    Hello! Would kindly like to know based on your expertise, if our company is overseas based and no local entity could be eligible to apply and be approved for RPAS operator and registration certificate? My intent of asking is we may possibly get a commercial projects using UAV. Our pilot and company is CAA certified in Thailand and Singapore but not in Philippines.

    February 22, 2022 at 1:40 pm
    • Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Christian. Only businesses registered in the Philippines can get the required certification to operate here commercially, specifically the RPA Operator Certificate. We have a guide on that process here. If that’s not an option for you, your best bet is to contract a local business who has that certificate for your project.

      February 23, 2022 at 1:07 pm
  • Rudolf Vanne M. Ramos Reply

    Hello po. Ask ko lang if needed pa ang mga certificates if ang drone po (DJI Phantom 4 v2) is for mapping and agricultural survey. Under PLGU po. Thanks you po.

    March 15, 2022 at 11:13 am
    • Alexa from Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Rudolf. Kung empleyado ng LGU ang magpapalipad at LGU rin ang may ari ng drone, itong dalawa lang ang kailangan: RPA Controller Certificate (para sa pilot) at RPA Registration Certificate (para sa drone).

      March 15, 2022 at 1:20 pm
  • George Matthew Reply

    Hello ,
    How can I get a Drone Instructor License

    April 4, 2022 at 11:18 pm
    • Alexa from Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi George. There is no single “Drone Instructor License” in the Philippines right now. If you want to deliver CAAP-recognized training as a business, then you first need to hold all 3 CAAP certifiates: the RPA Controller Certificate, RPA Registration Certificate, and RPA Operator Certificate.

      April 5, 2022 at 6:12 pm
  • aprilryan Reply

    Regarding the 10km no fly zone – would you know if CAAP gives permits to fly drones near less busy provincial airports which only have flights 1-2 days a week? Just wondering if CAAP will be more likely to give permit for days when there are no flights for the airport concerned.

    April 16, 2022 at 1:52 pm
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Aprilryan. No. Airports need to be open and have clear airspace at all times even if there are no active flights.

      June 18, 2022 at 9:02 am
  • Allana Reply

    Hello! Is there any law that proves that professional/commercial drones can collect personal information of an individual?

    May 16, 2022 at 8:58 pm
    • Drei from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Allana. I’m not sure what you mean. Laws are primarily used to regulate, not to prove the existence of something. A law isn’t needed to “prove” drones collect information because you can check that for yourself. They capture location info and use your account info depending on which apps you use so that you can control them remotely and plan/save flights.

      May 27, 2022 at 7:39 pm
  • Jayson Castro Reply

    are there a no flight zone in Iba Zambales?

    June 8, 2022 at 2:33 pm
  • JM Aguirre Reply

    Hello! Thank you for this very detailed information. I just want to ask if it is okay to apply for an RPAS registration certificate and RPAS operator certificate simultaneously? Our company intends to register as a drone operator with the Fertilizer and Pesticide Authority (FPA) but we need to secure an operator certificate from CAAP first. Appreciate your kind response. Thank you!

    June 17, 2022 at 12:37 am
    • Alexa from Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi JM. You can try persuading the CAAP to let you start the process for both certificates, but you still won’t receive both at the same time. Biggest reason is you need to submit a controller certificate to apply for the operator certificate. These 2 certificates are also handled by different departments within the CAAP which makes it harder than you think to coordinate a special process for you.

      June 18, 2022 at 8:55 am
      • JM Aguirre Reply

        Thank you Alexa. We already have our controller certificates for our pilots which we processed earlier.

        June 19, 2022 at 11:05 pm
  • Rhenan Pequiro Reply

    Hi po, Im planning to establish Drown Delivery. Can I use the RPA Controller Certificate, RPA Registration Certificate, and RPA Operator Certificate To Execute my Business? I already have SEC, Mayors Permit, BIR, Etc… I’m using also the mobile application for the ordering system. Gusto ko po sana gamitin ang drown for deliver the light weight like medicine and etc.

    Please Help?

    Thank you.

    July 3, 2022 at 6:09 pm
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Rhenan. Yes you need all 3 of those certificates to start a drone business. However, drone delivery is a special case because you are not allowed to fly over populated areas like major roads and residential areas even if you are fully certified. You need special permission from the CAAP to fly in these areas.

      July 3, 2022 at 9:11 pm
  • Shayne Anne Almonina Reply

    Saan po pwedeng makakuha ng permit sa pagpapalipad ng drone at nasa magkano po babayaran?

    July 3, 2022 at 6:48 pm
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Shayne. Iba iba ang proseso depende kung saan ka magpapalipad at ang layunin mo. Pwede ka magsimula sa pagtanong sa munispyo o tourism office.

      July 3, 2022 at 9:09 pm
  • Alissa Reply

    Greetings! What are the requirements po para makatravel with drone from other countries to the Philippines? It is required for a foreign individual to have a license/certificate para makapagpalipad ng drone dito sa Pilipinas? I hope someone can answer, thank you so much.

    July 5, 2022 at 2:09 pm
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Alissa. You can bring small drones as normal baggage, but you might be stopped for large commercial uavs.

      July 6, 2022 at 5:34 pm
  • Jr Dytianquin Reply

    Do i need a RPAS Registration Certificate for my DJI AIR 2s?

    July 7, 2022 at 12:22 pm
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi JR. You can find the answer under Question #1 on the post.

      July 7, 2022 at 2:46 pm
  • Rosauro Singson Binuya Reply

    I am a licensed remote pilot here in the US (FAA-Part 107) and planning to fly my drone in the Philippines during my vacation. Do I still need to get Philippine Drone pilot license and register my drone (DJI Mini 3 Pro = 249g)?

    July 9, 2022 at 12:52 pm
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Rosauro. That depends on your purpose. You don’t need to get certified if you will only fly casually as a hobby, but you need to follow all limitations for hobbyist use at all times.

      July 12, 2022 at 9:06 pm
  • Luis Reply


    Good day. May I know how much will it cost to get an RPAS Operator Certificate from CAAP? This is assuming that I have all the requirements already and what is left only is to pay the necessary fees for such certificate. TIA

    July 11, 2022 at 12:57 pm
  • Lee Holt Reply

    I’m trying to ship a drone with a weight less than 8 pound via DHL and would like to know about customs fees if any.

    July 20, 2022 at 9:37 pm
  • emil larrona Reply

    magbabago na raw po ang pcar? may date na siya?

    December 1, 2022 at 11:19 am
  • Rets Jacot Reply

    Good day. I have a house in Better Living Paranaque, which is near NAIA, essentially making it a no-fly-zone. I am currently planning to purchase a small (less than 7g) drone to get quick but detailed views of my roof which has been recently been blocked by leaves, branches, debris, etc after every heavy rain or storm. As I cannot physically go up to the roof, I would like to check out the roof visually via drone camera before hiring someone to go up and clear the debris. I understand that drones are not allowed within 10kms of the airport, however I do believe that a special flight permit can be requested and issued for drone operation within 10kms of ARP. Given my situation, do I really need such permit? If so, what do I need to do to avail of such special flight permit? Thanks in advance.

    December 8, 2022 at 2:14 am
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Rets. That’s right – you are NOT allowed to fly a drone in your location because of the airport. You can apply for a special permit with the CAAP/Phil Air Force, but it’s not likely to get granted because you aren’t a certified drone controller.

      December 12, 2022 at 3:13 pm
      • Rets Jacot Reply

        Thank you for the prompt response. What you are saying is that I can operate a drone over my house if I get the necessary certificate to operate a drone, then apply for the aforesaid special permit?

        December 17, 2022 at 12:43 pm
        • ronil villorente Reply

          hi sir, just to clarify po. im planning to use my drone DJI MINI 2 for my vacation. but im just a hobbyist. still i need to bring it to the airport for travel. im worried na baka ma confiscate? do i need to register my drone for CAAP eg RPA DRONE REGISTRATION as a safety measure or just insist that im just a hobbyist and dont need certification and registration.

          February 26, 2023 at 2:43 am
          • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network

            Hi Ronil. You don’t need to be certified to bring your drone to the airport.

            March 13, 2023 at 4:50 pm
  • Joe Reply

    Hi, just wanted to check how long is your training certificate valid to use when applying for an RPA Controller Certificate? I registered for the Feb 2023 sessions but currently owns the DJI Mini 2. Is this ok to use for the actual hands-on training? I’m planning to upgrade my drone towards the mid or later part of 2023. Even if the current drone is less than 7kg, do I still need to register it when applying for the COntroller Certificate or wait when I upgrade the unit? Or do I need to register both? Thanks for the guidance.

    December 18, 2022 at 3:34 pm
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Joe. Both of those drones are ok to use during the training course. We encourage you to register them even if they are small models, but it’s not required if you will only fly as a hobby.

      January 1, 2023 at 1:56 pm
  • Damdeok Reply

    Ayon sa nabasa ko number 3 bawal magpalipad ng night time ng drone. My batas po ba para jan anong article para maireklamo ko yung sa tapat namin kasi laging nagpapalipad specifically sa taas ng lugar namin mbaba pa parang mgmamasid at dinig na dinig mo umalis sya pag titiganan mo maya maya babalik. Salamat kung masasagot nyo ako

    December 23, 2022 at 8:38 pm
    • Damdeok Reply

      Wala po akong nakita sa 11.11.3 na pinagbabawal ang pagpapalipad sa residential area. Pwde po padouble check need ko din yang regulations nayan dito sa amin.

      December 23, 2022 at 8:54 pm
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Damdeok. Ang sabi sa PCAR ay “All RPA Controllers doing non-commercial operations are prohibited to operate an RPA at night unless authorized by the Authority.” RPA = remotely piloted aircraft o drone.

      January 1, 2023 at 1:54 pm
  • luis Reply

    Hi Alexa, from a real estate developer company po ako, may company drone kami to check yung buong property na idedevelop. pasok po ba kami sa with RPA for commercial use?

    February 16, 2023 at 10:08 am
    • Alexa from the Philippine Drone Network Reply

      Hi Luis. Does your company provide drone services to external clients?

      March 13, 2023 at 4:49 pm
  • jon Reply

    planning to bring my dji mini 3 pro drone in coron , palawan to get aerial shots are there any local regulations against it ? thanks po

    April 29, 2023 at 9:55 pm
  • Trisha Reply


    Our firm in Japan is extending services in the Philippines. Therefore, our representative would visit Manila to view and capture a vacant lot using a drone located in Quezon City, near Quezon City Memorial Circle.

    Could you kindly let us know the regulations (if any permit / license is needed) in flying a drone in this area? The video / shot would be use for the company’s research and study.

    Thank you so much in advance.

    June 21, 2023 at 8:40 am
  • 江承翰 Reply

    Hi I will travel to Palawan in October.
    I want to fly my drone.
    Do I need a license to fly my drone ?
    My drone type is DJI mini 3 pro.
    The weight is 249 grams.

    August 14, 2023 at 10:10 am

Leave a comment or ask a question here:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Philippine Drone News, Case Studies, and Industry Updates